As students head back to school this fall, most are packing a computer a thousand times more powerful than the computers available when I was there age...literally a thousand times! But when they walk into the classroom, there is that ever present sign hanging somewhere in the room...No Cell Phones Allowed. I say it's time to harness the power of these mighty tools and introduce students to the potential for learning they carry with them 24/7. I have compiled a list of must haves for the iPhone, iTouch, and iPad that are powerful tools for learning. Just don't tell the students theses are educational, they will just think they're fun.
Check these out at the app store:
- iBrainstorm-allows for group collaborative brainstorming and it has an attractive interface...best of all, it's free!
- Evernote-great app with multiple functions...notetaking, file storage; once again...free.
- iStudiez-excellent productivity app with multiple functions and a really cool interface...free
- FlashCards Plus-engaging way to create flash cards AND you can carry them everywhere you go...free.
- Red/Green-this is a simple little app that has two screens...red and green. Flash the red screen when the answer is No and flash the green screen when the answer is yes...free.
- 3D Cell Stain-look as cells in a whole new light...free.
- GoSkyWatch-gaze at the stars in the sky and identify what you see with this unique app. Really cool AND free.
- Nations-find out about any country in the world around you...for free!
- Anatomy Lite-this is a fun way to learn all of the parts of the human body and it's free.
- Inkling-great language and grammar resource at your fingertips. Love it and free!
- Formulas HD-more formulas than I would ever need...free.
- Civil Lite and Palace Lite-great social studies games that are FREE.
- History Tools-great resource for that social studies class...free.
- P183 Graphing Calculator-here is where I depart from free...$.99.